Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Trip #2 to the ER

Yesterday (Monday) I took William to a MOPS playgroup at an indoor playpark. He was so excited to be around other kids and different toys, and he was completely wild! He was running around, playing in ball pits, jumping in the moon bounce, and then the bubbles began. Anyone who knows Will knows that he is a nut for bubbles. He started running around trying to pop the bubbles and bouncing off of other kids. I pulled him aside several times trying to calm him down. Once the bubbles stopped, he was still running around like a wild animal and he collided with another boy his age. I knew the second it happened that this was no ordinary booboo. His cry was unlike anything I'd ever heard him do, and he was absolutely inconsolable. He immediately wanted to get home, so we packed up and left. I told him I wanted to take him to the doctor, but he screamed that he wanted to go home and take a nap. I decided that maybe he was just completely exhausted, and I would evaluate how he felt after his nap. I talked to Jon about it, and we decided he was probably overly tired. He woke up a couple hours later in a sweat and shaking. He was still completely hysterical. That was it...I took him to the ER (for the second time since moving here). The ER was packed with Covington's finest, so I kept my little ducklings next to the door. I put Will in his stroller and carried Brighton in her carseat/carrier. Thankfully, she slept. Jon arrived just in time for xrays, and he went back with Will while I was ushered to a private room to nurse Brighton. When all the pictures were taken, the doctor came in with a sling and told us that Will had a fractured clavicle. It is a very small crack in his collarbone. She assured me that it was going to be ok, and we will be following up with an orthopedist as soon as possible. It's so hard to think of him going through that much pain. He's so little, and I hate thinking about one of his little bones with a crack in it. Keep him in your prayers as he heals. It's hard for him to understand that he can't do all of the fun little boy things he typically does. He had just started really enjoying his tractor (as you can see from the pics and video), and we are scheduled to meet with a new playgroup next week. We had a wonderful weekend together enjoying the warm weather. I was able to leave both kids for an hour to get a haircut. It took my mind off of missing Amanda and Victoria's baby showers. I wish I could've been there! Enjoy the pictures--we love you all and are looking forward to seeing you soon. (We are excited about our upcoming visitors and we'll update the blog after each visit!)

3 comments:

  1. Poor Will! Alex broke his leg by tripping down one stair. Yep, one stair. He had the smallest crack in his bone, but it was still broken. Try and ask around for an orthopedic that deals well with kids. I got a great orthopedic dr for Alex and he had stickers and made funny faces and was super quick with his exams and even got his cast on in like 2 minutes.

    I hope Will heals quickly. I know I was super depressed about his leg for like 2 days, and I finally snapped out of it when I realized that this was probably not the last broken bone we'll be dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! im so sad to hear about will's accident! we will pray that it heals quickly and he can get back to being a boy - running and playing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word Becky! Amanda told me about this last night you poor thing! I can so see him getting too wound up and chasing those bubbles to his doom! As a fellow post broken clavicle soul I can sympathize with the poor child. That hurts!!!!!!! I'll pray he heals quick. Oh, and that tractor video is just stupid cute!!! Love it! Hang in there Becky, we miss you too! Alli
    also, Abigail likes your blog, she says he's a "cute piwatt"

    ReplyDelete

Bayou Babies

Bayou Babies

Rainy Day Blues

Rainy Day Blues

Lil Hokies

Lil Hokies

Baby Girl

Baby Girl

Captain William

Captain William

Followers