Thursday, December 16, 2010

A tribute to Boo

I was going to wait to write anything until after Saturday, but I think it would be therapeutic for me to write something now. On Saturday, I will have to do undoubtedly the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I have to say goodbye to our sweet dog, Boo. She has not been a healthy dog for some time now, but in the last five weeks, her health has really deteriorated. She has been plagued by several tumors for a while that sometimes make it difficult for her to drink water and go "potty," but recently her legs seem to be the biggest problem. Since 2008, she has had what the vet described as a torn doggie ACL. The surgery was extremely expensive and not guaranteed to help her. So we gave her pain meds and anti-inflammatory pills for a long time, and it seemed to actually stop bothering her. However, at this point, she is almost unable to walk, and compounded with being mostly blind and deaf, she is not leading a happy life. I feel it is my responsibility to give Boo what she needs most now, relief.

I adopted Boo from the Roanoke SPCA ten years ago when she was around three years old. I was a sophomore at Virginia Tech, and I was living by myself in a studio apartment. Boo was a great roommate. She slept on the bed, curled up on the couch, acted as a little barking burglar alarm, and loved to go on walks. I bought hair bows, dresses, outfits, and costumes for her. She put up with it all! Because I was always driving somewhere, I bought her a seat belt, so that she would be safe in the car. Boo loved going to the lake. I think she was happiest there. Even as recently as this summer, she seemed to rehabilitate at the lake. After I got married, Boo had some adjustments. She was no longer allowed to get up on the bed or the other furniture once we bought "real" furniture. I still took her on walks, and she enjoyed the big backyard at our house in Fredericksburg. The biggest adjustment for her came when Will was born in 2006. She was unsure what to think about him or about the fact that she was no longer our only baby. But Will loved Boo. "Boo Boo" was his first word (as well as Brighton's two years later!) Boo provided the motivation for my kids to start moving. She put up with them pulling her tail and tackling her because she has always had the absolute sweetest temperament. She has gotten fatter from sitting underneath their chairs at dinner and following them as closely as possible when they are walking around with a snack. Boo hasn't gotten as much attention in the last years as she did when she was my little princess dog, Boogenvillia the Exquisite Beast (yes, that is her full name). But she has always remained my loyal companion. I could not have asked for a better dog for me or our family. I am so thankful that I got to share the last ten years with one of God's most special creatures. Booboo, you are loved, and I will never forget you.

Please, please pray for me on Saturday and our family as we adjust to life without her.



Some of my favorite pictures of Boo taken in the last few years.

1 comment:

  1. Becky - I am so sorry that you will have to do this. Boo was a great dog. Praying for you on Saturday!!

    Emily Bolinsky

    ReplyDelete

Bayou Babies

Bayou Babies

Rainy Day Blues

Rainy Day Blues

Lil Hokies

Lil Hokies

Baby Girl

Baby Girl

Captain William

Captain William

Followers